Saturday, September 10, 2011

Toledo

After our time in Madrid we hopped on a bus to spend a night in Toledo and tour the city. Toledo is one of the most picturesque medieval Spanish towns....ever. I absolutely love it and wish I could have spent a few more days walking around the winding streets.

I had already been Toledo but I got to visit a few new places that I had never seen. This is El Monastario de San Juan de los Reyes:
Orange trees!!!

We also visited a Christian church that was, if I remember correctly, originally built as a Jewish synagogue but was constructed by Muslims and therefore looks more like a mosque. I think. I didn't really get any good pictures inside the church but it was really interesting to see the contrasts between the three religions that were, and still are, such a huge part of the culture of Toledo.
Fun fact: the phrase, "holy toledo!" comes from the idea that Toledo was considered somewhat of a holy city because of the vast number of mosques, synagogues, and churches built there.

Catedral de Toledo...unbelievable
DU girlies waiting for some shwarma sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment