Monday, September 19, 2011

Amada Sevilla, Te quiero.

I don't know if it had something to do with the nice breeze or how well rested I was from my siesta, but I think it happened. I think I fell in love yesterday. Don't worry Dad, not with a Spanish man, but with Sevilla. This city is unbelievable. The more I learn about Sevilla the more deeply in love I fall. Maybe I'm blinded by love, but this city has such a rich culture and history that everything here seems a little bit magical.
Saturday, the day before I fell in love, I woke up around 11 (planned for 9:30...oops) and went to El Mercado de Triana, an indoor market in my barrio. If you know me, you know that markets, especially those with food, are one of my absolute favorite things to see in any new place I visit. Although it wasn't the best one I've ever been to (I think Barcelona has topped the charts), this one was pretty neat and very Sevilla.
Hungry? For some live snails?
Since we're on the subject of love, these are locks that line the Puente de Triana. Sevillan lovers write their names on these locks and attach them to the bridge, to reside until death do them part.
Yesterday, the day I fell in love, I went to church with some new friends I met last week, chatted with a Spanish girl who wants to practice her English, ate a huge lunch while having a lovely conversation with Esperanza about food and our love lives (turns out her and Felipe are actually married and I saw wedding pictures to prove it), and then took a siesta. Afterwards, I met with a friend and we ended up taking a 3 hour walk along the river and around a new neighborhood in search of some market that we never actually found. Here's what we did find:
"DECORA TU CIUDAD"--Decorate Your City

No comments:

Post a Comment