Friday, October 7, 2011

Flamenco

Andalucía is the birthplace of flamenco. This fun fact may have had some influence in my choice to go to Sevilla and I have not been disappointed. I just so happen to live in the neighborhood where some of the most famous "flamenkitas" lived, breathed, and performed. And of course, there is a statue at the start of the bridge to commemorate this important part of Sevillan culture. They really love statues here.
A couple weeks ago I went to my first flamenco show in Sevilla at the famous La Carbonería in el barrio de Santa Cruz. I went to one when I was in Madrid, which to be honest, was far better than this one. However, the one in Madrid cost way more and was more of an actual show than a fun place to hang out, sweat profusely, have a drink, and see a FREE flamenco show. Gratis is my favorite word. Anyways, this place was awesome and the "bailaora" was fierce (normal Spanish speakers would say "bailadora," but Andalucians don't feel the need to pronounce or often write their d's).

Not only do I have the distinct privilege of living in a city and neighborhood where flamenco bars are easy to come by, I am also learning how to become a "bailaora" myself! Well, sort of. Although I dream of the day when I become a fantastic and ferocious flamenco dancer, the "Sevillana" is the type of dance I am learning at the moment. The Sevillana definitely has a few flamenco-like qualities, especially in the posture and movement of the hands, but overall it's very different. Or maybe it's just the way that I'm dancing that seems so far from flamenco...Either way, the dance class is a blast!
Here are some photos from the flamenco show at La Carbonería:

No comments:

Post a Comment