Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Feliz Cumpleaños a Mi

As I sit here in my room listening to Julieta Venegas and writing a paper about "comunicación intercultural" (after having consumed a large amount of Esperanza's tasty gazpacho and of course, chocolate and dried figs for a studying snack), I am overcome with gratefulness. Why? Well, the reasons abound! I have a paid job teaching a Spaniard English, I had a lovely two-and-a-half hour conversation last night by the Guadalquivir river with a Chilean who also bought me a bowl of some the best ice cream I've ever had, I went to Portugal last weekend (pictures to come!), and tomorrow I'm going to a barbacoa with some Spanish friends for a solid day of food, drink, fútbol, and Spanish. A constant question that comes to my mind: Is this real life? Apparently it is!

So my 21st birthday was a couple of weeks ago and I was pretty sure that, although I was going to be in Spain, it probably wouldn't be that fun because I wouldn't have too many friends or anything. Falso. It was probably the best birthday I have ever had. On the eve of my cumpleaños, the Spaniards took a bunch of us to a bar a few minutes outside of the city that one of their friends owns, to watch a Barcelona game and enjoy some free Cruzcampo. After a few hours of Spanish laughter, conversation, and some fútbol, the clock struck midnight, indicating that it was now officially my birthday. Then, with giant grins on their faces, two of my Spanish friends emerged with a chocolate ice cream-cake complete with giant "21" number candles, while the bar owner played a "Happy Birthday" song over the loud speaker. I might have maybe almost teared up.
On my actual birthday a bunch of us took an early-morning bus to a nearby pueblo, Aracena. We walked around the town, did some hiking, climbed up a giant hill with castle ruins and a lovely view of the city, and explored a stalactite/mite filled cave.
Olive trees!
Jess and I found Jesus on our hike
After an extremely exhausting day in Aracena, we headed back to Sevilla (barely making our bus!). Later that night a group of us walked to Barrio de Santa Cruz for dinner at San Marcos, a highly recommended Italian restaurant (thanks Liz!) that was converted from an Arabic bath.
Honey goat cheese salad. Definitely more goat cheese than lettuce. Definitely not complaining.
Seafood pizza...sounds and looks a little weird but it was fantastic!
The best tiramisu I have ever had in my entire life.
Way too many cheesy solo shots for the parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment