Thursday, December 15, 2011

Under the Umbrian Clouds

If any of you have ever met my mom, you know how much and for how long she has loved Italy. I think I grew up with this idea that Italy was the magical, untouched place that I would only ever travel to in some sort of dreamy fantasy world. Turns out, Italy is absolutely magical. It also turns out that I got to see Italy in real life, not in a dream!
My wonderful and fellow foodie friend Ashely has been studying in Perugia, a small town in Umbria known for their chocolates and well, Amanda Knox. She was sweet enough to let me stay with her in her apartment and show me around her town.
I have to warn you, the majority of these pictures are of food. Yes, that WAS my favorite part of Italy. Are you surprised?
The main square in Perugia. To the right, you have the duomo (church) which is apparently the ugliest one in all of Italy.
Breakfast of chocolate croissants and cappuccinos


THE best margarita pizza I have ever had in my life. Yes, I did eat every last bite.
Ashley and I cooked: dinner number 1
Secret Italian bakeries that open at 2am to serve you the freshest baked goods for only 1 euro!
Bambloni: giant, warm donut-like pastry, filled with an inappropriately delicious amount of Nutella.
We also took a day trip to Florence. SUCH a wonderful city!
The Duomo
Ashley!
Outdoor copy of the David
Fococcia sandwich with artichoke, fresh buffalo mozzarella, arugula, proscuitto, and the best sun-dried tomatoes in the world.
Then it was back to Perugia for some more food and sight-seeing!
Ashley and I's made-up dinner that turned out AMAZING. Turns out we cook really well together!
Tomato, zuchinni, ricotta sauce with fresh pasta and basil
Orange arugula salad

Sauteed pears with cinnamon and vanilla yogurt

Truffles!
Apertivos and wine with Ashley at the cutest little restaurant
Another amazing meal following the appertivos, with some pear, cheese, honey, and walnuts!
And a little homemade goat cheese pasta with rabbit. To DIE for.
And of course, gelato: dark chocolate and pistachio
 The last day we went for a walk around the other parts of the city:
Chocolate break =)

 The last night we went out for apertivos at this amazing wine bar...some of the best cheese, meats, and breads I have ever had!
Making our food!


And because we were still hungry...sort of...we made our last dinner:
The cheese selection at the store
Quattro formaggio pasta, another pasta with marinara, sauteed broccoli, and pesto tomato-stuffed mushrrooms
I'm pretty sure I gained at least 10 pounds in a matter of 5 days. It was worth every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment